FOR BABY — Top 8 Halloween Safety Tips
Keeping your little one safe is important every day, but especially on Halloween. A scary statistic: children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car on Halloween as any other day of the year. Read our top 8 tips below on how you and your family can be sure to have a safe & happy Halloween!
- Only buy costumes labeled as “flame-retardant”. If you are a do-it-yourself type and making your own costumes, only use nylon or polyester materials which are flame-retardant.
- Be seen! Decorate costumes with reflective tape, wear glow sticks, and carry flashlights help make your presence known to others.
- Masks can obstruct a child’s vision, so instead opt for non-toxic makeup and face paint to bring your little one’s costume to life.
- Ensure costumes are the right fit to avoid unnecessary tripping and falling. This also goes for accessories! Swords and canes should not be too long & hats should not cover the eyes.
- Try to stick to walking on sidewalks and paths with the fewest amounts of street crossings.
- When you do need to cross the street, use crosswalks and traffic signals, making eye contact with drivers as you cross.
- Make sure kids know how to call 911 or ask a grown-up for help in case they get lost.
- Adults need to inspect all treats prior to little ones digging in. Throw away any unwrapped treats, suspicious items, or homemade goodies from anyone you don’t know.
View All Posts